Friday, September 4, 2009

Collecting things vs. cleaning the studio

`

copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong
"Stuff", 8"h x 5"w
Gouache with pen & ink in Moleskine sketchboook
*NFS*

So, I've been cleaning my studio (ugh) and I have to admit, I sure do collect a lot of "things". Everywhere (every country even) I go, it seems, I find something of interest that I simply must have, pick up, take with me. And then store it, where? Good question - hince why I've been cleaning my studio, again.

The yearly "What should I do with this? I can't throw this out!" moments arise. Torture. All the rocks in one box, all the buttons in one tin (or two), all the postcards (antique and current) in files, all the small toys in one basket, all the colorful papers in a drawer with the bits of ribbons & doo-dads, all the strange earrings in a trinket box, all the nature bits (seeds, dried flowers, pinecones, feathers) in another basket ( right yes, I collect baskets too...), all the hair ornaments in another box, all the pencils & brushes in the souvenir mugs that I also collect, and the books (oy, the books!), and the art supplies ( let's not even go there), etc., etc., etc. The list is long. *sigh* I even have petrified (that would be "bone dry") cakes, cupcakes, breads and cookies - I'm not kidding. You get the picture - a nightmare. I'm am a dedicated "pack rat"... ha!

So, I thought I'd start drawing, or painting, some of my collections. No time to waste, as I'm not getting any younger and the collections won't stop growing. LOL . Good subjects, one & all, for many an art piece and a blog post to come (starting this month).

Tot ziens,
Judy

3 comments:

Meisie said...

Oh please do! More of the same as the one at the beginning of the post!
I know just what you mean about finding irresistable treasures everywhere. I keep telling myself that I AM able to throw away things...yeah right!!
Looking forward to your drawings...

J. Nijholt-Strong said...

If you're like me, Meisie, you have a story or a history for every lil thing you collect - making it all the more difficult to throw something out! LOL

Obession comes to mind... hahahaha!!!

:o)

Judy

Meisie said...

hmmm I see you fully understand the 'problem' hehehehehe

CATEGORIES

Drawing (181) Pen and Ink (132) Colored Pencils (119) Netherlands (103) Sketches/Sketchbooks (101) Watercolors (97) Moleskine (96) Celebrations (93) France (79) Travel (78) flowers (63) Holland (52) Dutch Language (51) Garden (50) Cats (46) Utrecht (45) Random Silliness (44) Photo Friday (34) Food (24) Dutch (23) Limousin (23) Christmas (22) Tulips (22) Art History (21) Sacha (20) Chateau-Chervix (18) Sketches (17) Halloween (16) Travel in The Netherlands (16) Gouache (14) Paris (13) Folded Moleskine (12) Blog Birthday (11) Limoges (11) Valentines (11) Sinterklaas (10) Watercolor Pencils (10) collections (10) Easter (9) Inspiration (8) Thanksgiving (8) Belgium (7) Cathedrals (7) Drafting Film (7) In Memorium (7) Koninginnedag (7) Museums (7) New Year's Eve (7) Pumpkins (7) collections nature (7) Antwerp Belgium (6) Birds (5) Cooking (5) Earth Day (5) Friesland (5) graphite (5) shells (5) Driekoningen (4) Queen's Day (4) Candy (3) Chinese New Year (3) Crochet (3) Dordogne (3) Finn (3) Germany (3) Leuven Belgium (3) Markers (3) North Holland (3) Sarlat la Canéda (3) Vienna (3) Vintage (3) medieval history (3) spammers (3) 4th of July (2) Beeld en Geluid Museum (2) Berlin (2) Chartres (2) Crafts (2) Crows (2) Delft (2) Gent Belgium (2) Haarzuillens (2) Hilversum (2) Independence Day (2) Kasteel de Haar (2) Memorial Day (2) Panoramas (2) Pieter Bruegel the Elder (2) Software Programs (2) image scrapers (2) lantern plant (2) souvenirs (2) watercolor (2) watersoluable graphite (2) April Fool's Day (1) Carcassonne (1) Chateau de Hautefort (1) Claywork (1) Collonges la Rouge (1) Dirk Bouts (1) Emmen (1) Keukenhof (1) Languedoc (1) Museum Speelklok (1) Netherlandish Painting (1) Peony (1) Peter Paul Rubens (1) PhotoShop (1) Recipe (1) Stones and Rocks (1) Sumi-e Brush and Ink (1) Vermeer (1) Vintage Postcards (1) Vlieland (1) Woerden (1) digital drawing (1) ice skating (1) outages blogger (1)

Followers