Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Collections Nature (shell and pansy): Watersoluble graphite drawings

`

drawing ©Judith Nijholt-Strong
"Turban Shell"
approx: 5" x 7", Arches hp watercolor paper
Watersoluble graphite & normal graphite pencils

I think that's a Turban Shell, though I'm not sure. It's just one of many shells in my shell collection and I don't have a clue as to the names of all of them. I just like shells. This shell happens to sit on my desk and I've drawn or painted it many times before. You might see it again - most likely in pen & ink. :o)


drawing ©Judith Nijholt-Strong
"Picked a Pansy" (sold)
approx: 8.25" x 5", Arches hp watercolor paper
Watersoluble graphite & normal graphite pencil

I did the drawing of the pansy a few months ago. We have a shady spot in our garden where the pansies from the springtime were still growing, so I picked one and brought it indoors to draw. I then pressed it between some wax paper and stuck it in the middle of one of my art history books (from university days long, long ago...lol). Yep, the pansy is now another part of my "collections".

The watersoluble graphite pencils that I use are made by Prismacolor. I don't own any other brand of ws graphite, so I have nothing to compare them with. I found them pleasurable to work with though, and I'd recommend them to anyone who wants to give watersoluble graphite a try.

I must say, trying to get a good digital photo image of a graphite drawing on a creamy colored paper, such as the Arches I used, is next to impossible. :o( I tried putting it in greyscale to see if that looked any better, but it didn't. I fiddled with the levels...looked awful. Eventually, I gave up. So there you have it, not the best images of my drawings but I'm not wasting anymore time fiddling with them. As we say here in Holland, "Niks aan te doen!" (literally translated = "nothing to do", sometimes used in a "I give up" sort of way.)
Tot ziens!
Judy
.............................
6 edits later and I think everything is correctly spelled...here's hoping!

3 comments:

Meisie said...

Really? Prismacolor has water soluable graphite? WOW, I need to check that out. The one I use is 'General's Sketch and Wash' and I really like working with it!

Love your drawings. That shell is so cool, I too have a fine collection of shells, stones and feathers..well epecially those items...we won't mention the driftwood and twigs-full-of-moss, shall we? LOL

J. Nijholt-Strong said...

Twigs full of moss!!! LOL
I don't have those yet...must go find me some (no problem in Holland, stand still long enough and moss wil grow on you!) heh heh

Yep, Prismas make ws graphite pencils. I think Creatacolor does too and maybe Derwent (though not entirely sure about Derwent).

René PleinAir. said...

"Helaas pindakaas."

But on the other hand, better this way than the other way around, ...

Making good photo's from bad work that is. ;-)

CATEGORIES

Drawing (182) Pen and Ink (134) Colored Pencils (120) Netherlands (103) Sketches/Sketchbooks (101) Moleskine (98) Watercolors (98) Celebrations (94) France (79) Travel (78) flowers (65) Garden (52) Holland (52) Dutch Language (51) Cats (46) Utrecht (45) Random Silliness (44) Photo Friday (34) Food (24) Dutch (23) Limousin (23) Christmas (22) Tulips (22) Art History (21) Sacha (21) Chateau-Chervix (18) Sketches (17) Halloween (16) Travel in The Netherlands (16) Gouache (14) Paris (13) Folded Moleskine (12) Blog Birthday (11) Limoges (11) Valentines (11) Sinterklaas (10) Watercolor Pencils (10) collections (10) Easter (9) Inspiration (8) Thanksgiving (8) Belgium (7) Cathedrals (7) Drafting Film (7) In Memorium (7) Koninginnedag (7) Museums (7) New Year's Eve (7) Pumpkins (7) collections nature (7) Antwerp Belgium (6) Birds (5) Cooking (5) Earth Day (5) Friesland (5) graphite (5) shells (5) Driekoningen (4) Queen's Day (4) Candy (3) Chinese New Year (3) Crochet (3) Dordogne (3) Finn (3) Germany (3) Leuven Belgium (3) Markers (3) North Holland (3) Sarlat la Canéda (3) Vienna (3) Vintage (3) medieval history (3) spammers (3) 4th of July (2) Beeld en Geluid Museum (2) Berlin (2) Chartres (2) Crafts (2) Crows (2) Delft (2) Gent Belgium (2) Haarzuillens (2) Hilversum (2) Independence Day (2) Kasteel de Haar (2) Memorial Day (2) Panoramas (2) Pieter Bruegel the Elder (2) Software Programs (2) image scrapers (2) lantern plant (2) souvenirs (2) watercolor (2) watersoluable graphite (2) April Fool's Day (1) Carcassonne (1) Chateau de Hautefort (1) Claywork (1) Collonges la Rouge (1) Dirk Bouts (1) Emmen (1) Keukenhof (1) Languedoc (1) Museum Speelklok (1) Netherlandish Painting (1) Peony (1) Peter Paul Rubens (1) PhotoShop (1) Recipe (1) Stones and Rocks (1) Sumi-e Brush and Ink (1) Vermeer (1) Vintage Postcards (1) Vlieland (1) Woerden (1) digital drawing (1) ice skating (1) outages blogger (1)

Followers