Sunday, September 27, 2009

Collections: Stones & Rocks - sketches in ink, graphite pencil and colored pencil

`

copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong
"Beach Stones from Étretat, France", 2009
Colored pencil in Moleskine sketchbook
approx. 8.5"h x 11"w when opened flat

I enjoy drawing/sketching stones & rocks - even more so when I've brought them home from different trips or vacations. They are full of wonderful memories for me and I guess, memories of ancient pasts too!
In the sketch above, I used regular colored pencils (Faber-Castell Polychromos and Lyra Rembrandts) in my large Moleskine sketchbook.


copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong
"Beach Stone from Criel sur Mer, France", 2007
Graphite pencil in plain paper Pentalic sketchbook
approx. 6"h x 4.25"w

It's another obsession, these rocks & stones. The above is a small sketch I did in the summer of 2007, while on vacation in the Somme region of France. This is a beach stone I picked up while walking on the beach at Criel sur Mer. The sketch was done with a 4B Conté graphite pencil, in a plain paper sketchbook made by Pentalic. I don't normally like to work in plain paper sketchbooks (too thin), but this one was in my purse at the time. It's "ok" for graphite sketches.

Wooden Mannequins - just what does one do with one of those little wooden mannequins? Well, try to put him to work cleaning up the studio - doing the heavy lifting, of course!
Meet "Mr. Woody", my studio assistant ...

copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong
"Mr. Woody Enters the Studio", 2009
Ink Brush sketch in plain paper Paperblanks sketchbook/notebook
approx. 7"h x 5"w

He's not so sure ...

copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong
"Mr. Woody Tries to Lift a Stone", 2009
Ink Brush sketch in plain paper Paperblanks sketchbook/notebook
approx. 7"h x 5"w


Success!

copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong
"Mr. Woody is Successful!", 2009
Ink Brush sketch in plain paper Paperblanks sketchbook/notebook
approx. 7"h x 5"w


:0) Just having some fun with the little wooden mannequin that someone gave me some time ago. Other than playing around making him lift things, I'm not quite sure what I'd ever use a wooden mannequin for. "Mr. Woody" just sits on top of a shelf in my studio, waiting around until I tell him it's time to move things about again. LOL

For the sketches of "Mr. Woody", I used two colors of the Pentel Ink Brush (black and brown) - they're fun too and free me up from being so tight when I draw or sketch. Unfortunately, the ink in them is not very waterproof so it will sometimes bleed or smudge..oh well. I bought this particular sketchbook in Troyes France, back in 2005 (or was it 2006?, I can't remember) - it doesn't get used much because the paper isn't too wonderful, but it's fun to play around in with the ink brushes.

I also fell madly in love with the cover design of the sketchbook - by Laurel Burch.
And here's why...

Had to have it!
It has an interesting closing - in that, part of the cover flap is magnetic so it seals shut when you flip it over.

I'll probably be sketching more stones & rocks next month, when I'm back in France ... you never know!

Tot ziens,
Judy
.............................................

2 comments:

Meisie said...

Can I send my Mr Woody to get a few tips from your Mr Woody? Mine is laziness personified I tell you!(love your line work in those fun sketches) I'm not surprise you fell in love with the sketchbook, the cover is awesome!...and the composition in that first drawing is wonderful! The ones inside the box with a hint of fabric and the one outside....delightful!
Thanks again for sharing and inspiring!!!

J. Nijholt-Strong said...

Thanks Charne.*kusjes*
I think the fact that you comment here, (which I do really appreciate), keeps me motivated to post! LOL

We need a forum of our own ;)
LOL

Judy

CATEGORIES

Drawing (181) Pen and Ink (133) Colored Pencils (120) Netherlands (103) Sketches/Sketchbooks (101) Moleskine (97) Watercolors (97) Celebrations (93) France (79) Travel (78) flowers (64) Holland (52) Dutch Language (51) Garden (51) Cats (46) Utrecht (45) Random Silliness (44) Photo Friday (34) Food (24) Dutch (23) Limousin (23) Christmas (22) Tulips (22) Art History (21) Sacha (20) Chateau-Chervix (18) Sketches (17) Halloween (16) Travel in The Netherlands (16) Gouache (14) Paris (13) Folded Moleskine (12) Blog Birthday (11) Limoges (11) Valentines (11) Sinterklaas (10) Watercolor Pencils (10) collections (10) Easter (9) Inspiration (8) Thanksgiving (8) Belgium (7) Cathedrals (7) Drafting Film (7) In Memorium (7) Koninginnedag (7) Museums (7) New Year's Eve (7) Pumpkins (7) collections nature (7) Antwerp Belgium (6) Birds (5) Cooking (5) Earth Day (5) Friesland (5) graphite (5) shells (5) Driekoningen (4) Queen's Day (4) Candy (3) Chinese New Year (3) Crochet (3) Dordogne (3) Finn (3) Germany (3) Leuven Belgium (3) Markers (3) North Holland (3) Sarlat la Canéda (3) Vienna (3) Vintage (3) medieval history (3) spammers (3) 4th of July (2) Beeld en Geluid Museum (2) Berlin (2) Chartres (2) Crafts (2) Crows (2) Delft (2) Gent Belgium (2) Haarzuillens (2) Hilversum (2) Independence Day (2) Kasteel de Haar (2) Memorial Day (2) Panoramas (2) Pieter Bruegel the Elder (2) Software Programs (2) image scrapers (2) lantern plant (2) souvenirs (2) watercolor (2) watersoluable graphite (2) April Fool's Day (1) Carcassonne (1) Chateau de Hautefort (1) Claywork (1) Collonges la Rouge (1) Dirk Bouts (1) Emmen (1) Keukenhof (1) Languedoc (1) Museum Speelklok (1) Netherlandish Painting (1) Peony (1) Peter Paul Rubens (1) PhotoShop (1) Recipe (1) Stones and Rocks (1) Sumi-e Brush and Ink (1) Vermeer (1) Vintage Postcards (1) Vlieland (1) Woerden (1) digital drawing (1) ice skating (1) outages blogger (1)

Followers