Thursday, February 18, 2010

Chinese New Year, 2010 - Five Chopsticks for Day Five.











drawing copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong
5 Red Chopsticks for Chinese New Year, 2010
5.5"h x 3.5"w in Folded Moleskine
colored pencil with pen and ink


This being the fifth day of Chinese New Year, I drew five of my red chopsticks in my new Folded Moleskine.

Chinese New Year, 2010 started on this February 14th, but the celebrations continue for 15 days. According to the old traditions, today you should stay home, wear red (a happy color) and in northern China, people eat jiǎo zi or meat filled steamed dumplings on this day - with chopsticks, of course! ;o) Lucky for me that my chopsticks are red - now I wonder if I can find some of those dumplings in the Chinese restaurant near where I live ... hmmm.

And since this year is the Year of the Tiger, I drew this little carved wooden cat of mine. I bought it in a store in Paris, not far from the Rue du Chat-qui-Pêche; maybe just around the corner, if I remember correctly.

drawing copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong
Little Carved Wooden Cat Figure on My Desk
5.5"h x 3.5"w in Folded Moleskine
colored pencil with pen and ink


The store in Paris was chock full of beautiful things from different Asian countries. I'm not quite sure if this little guy was carved in China, but he sits on my desk with his little brother who is a black cat - I had to "adopt" them. Though not tigers, perhaps they'll bring me some luck?! Doesn't matter anyway, they make me smile everyday. :o)

I'm loving working in this Folded Moleskine. Almost eveveryday, since I began with the drawing of the dried rose, I've managed to draw something in it - using colored pencils with the pen & ink. Just small things I have saved or collected - so that's kind of what I'm calling this moleskine. I have to figure out a way to show it on the blog, not sure right now how I'm going to do that - maybe in parts.


Oh! Sacha, my tiger striped tabby cat, is extremely happy about this being the Year of the Tiger!!! She may be insisting on more of her "Princess Lunches" this year ... oh noooo! lol

:o)
tot ziens,
Judy
...........................

2 comments:

Meisie said...

Please do show us more! The bg on the cat drawing is super...what a neat idea! and the design for the chopsticks page is wonderful!

Did you have chinese food?...but you were supposed to stay home LOL

i assume you ink before you add cp?

J. Nijholt-Strong said...

TY Charne :o)

Nope, no Chinese food tonight. I made pasta and yes, we stayed home! LOL

Depends on the inking. Mostly yes, I do the ink lines first but sometimes there are areas where I do the ink over the cp (i.e., that terra cotta color in the cat drawing where the little ink squiggles were applied on top. I'm using mostly oil based cp's, so the ink goes over them very easily - easier than over wax based cp's.

Judy

CATEGORIES

Drawing (181) Pen and Ink (132) Colored Pencils (119) Netherlands (103) Sketches/Sketchbooks (101) Watercolors (97) Moleskine (96) Celebrations (93) France (79) Travel (78) flowers (63) Holland (52) Dutch Language (51) Garden (50) Cats (46) Utrecht (45) Random Silliness (44) Photo Friday (34) Food (24) Dutch (23) Limousin (23) Christmas (22) Tulips (22) Art History (21) Sacha (20) Chateau-Chervix (18) Sketches (17) Halloween (16) Travel in The Netherlands (16) Gouache (14) Paris (13) Folded Moleskine (12) Blog Birthday (11) Limoges (11) Valentines (11) Sinterklaas (10) Watercolor Pencils (10) collections (10) Easter (9) Inspiration (8) Thanksgiving (8) Belgium (7) Cathedrals (7) Drafting Film (7) In Memorium (7) Koninginnedag (7) Museums (7) New Year's Eve (7) Pumpkins (7) collections nature (7) Antwerp Belgium (6) Birds (5) Cooking (5) Earth Day (5) Friesland (5) graphite (5) shells (5) Driekoningen (4) Queen's Day (4) Candy (3) Chinese New Year (3) Crochet (3) Dordogne (3) Finn (3) Germany (3) Leuven Belgium (3) Markers (3) North Holland (3) Sarlat la Canéda (3) Vienna (3) Vintage (3) medieval history (3) spammers (3) 4th of July (2) Beeld en Geluid Museum (2) Berlin (2) Chartres (2) Crafts (2) Crows (2) Delft (2) Gent Belgium (2) Haarzuillens (2) Hilversum (2) Independence Day (2) Kasteel de Haar (2) Memorial Day (2) Panoramas (2) Pieter Bruegel the Elder (2) Software Programs (2) image scrapers (2) lantern plant (2) souvenirs (2) watercolor (2) watersoluable graphite (2) April Fool's Day (1) Carcassonne (1) Chateau de Hautefort (1) Claywork (1) Collonges la Rouge (1) Dirk Bouts (1) Emmen (1) Keukenhof (1) Languedoc (1) Museum Speelklok (1) Netherlandish Painting (1) Peony (1) Peter Paul Rubens (1) PhotoShop (1) Recipe (1) Stones and Rocks (1) Sumi-e Brush and Ink (1) Vermeer (1) Vintage Postcards (1) Vlieland (1) Woerden (1) digital drawing (1) ice skating (1) outages blogger (1)

Followers