Monday, March 8, 2010

Drawing more bricks - this time in Utrecht!

`

drawing copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong
Rooflines of the Speelklok Museum's Entrance - Utrecht, Netherlands
4.5"h x 6.5"w
pen and ink, Copic markers and watercolors on Fabriano paper

My Dutchman and I were in Utrecht's old city center this weekend, doing errands and enjoying the suprisingly wonderful weather. While he was shopping for his favorite black tea from the UK, I did the ink drawing of the entrance of one of my favorite museums in Utrecht - the Nationaal Museum van Speelklok tot Pierement (Museum of Music Boxes and Street Organs). The Speelklok Museum is housed inside the medieval "Buurkerk" (neighborhood church) right in the middle of Utrecht.

I'm just getting more practice doing brick buildings and ornate architecture! :o) Most of the ink drawing was done on site, but I filled in the colors when I returned home - there's only so much black tea a Dutchman can buy, you know?! I did make notations for what colors I saw, off to the side of the drawing, though I didn't show them here because my handwriting is almost undecipherable - even for me! Lucky to have artistic liscense!! I used Copic Markers and Caran d'Ache Supracolor II Soft Aquarelle pencils for the colors.

The drawing paper is Fabriano Academia Disegno, which is a new paper for me. I had bought a block of it at SWAAK art supply in Utrecht, that same day. Personally, I find that the Disegno paper is not that great for use with regular colored pencils (too much texture, for my taste), but the ink, Copic markers and watercolor pencils worked great on this paper. According to the information on the block of paper, it's also good for use with gouache paint. I'll have to try that sometime ... (when I have time...).

I also discoverd a new pigment ink pen - the Pilot Drawing Pen. The pens come in the normal range of different nib sizes (just like the Sakura Micron Pens). I used a 01 for this drawing and the ink is waterproof/smudgeproof. I'm liking this pen, a lot.

If all goes according to plan, we're off to Gent (Ghent), Belgium in a couple of days, for a week away! I bet I'll be drawing, or sketching, more bricks and ornate architecture ;o) If all doesn't go according to plan (which is very possible due to some very sad family matters), then I'll just have to *force* myself to go back to Utrecht and draw some more - which is not a big hardship, mind you. :o)

tot ziens,
Judy
Update:
Sadly, the trip to Gent has been cancelled. Instead, we'll be attending the funeral of our dear Uncle Johannes who died this evening.
Oom Johannes was the best man at our wedding, a beloved uncle of my Dutchman and a wonderfully happy person who always had a nice story and a warm smile for me. He was the epitome of the word "gezellig". We will dearly miss this lovely human being.
I'm really sad right now, so forgive me if I don't post for awhile ...
:(
.......................................

3 comments:

Meisie said...

Love the colours! Your drawing is super as always...and I'm looking forward to seeing Gent! ;-) Hope the familiy matters work out ok...

J. Nijholt-Strong said...

Sadly we aren't going to Gent and I'm not going sketching in Utrecht either...not for awhile.
Instead, I'll be going to a funeral.
:(

Judy

J. Nijholt-Strong said...

Beste René,

Thanks for the invite to the paint out, but I won't be able to make it. The upcoming funeral of our Uncle Johannes is now occupying my thoughts...

I have removed your original invitation in these comments, because I don't think it is wise for your mobile number to be displayed here. Unfortunately, there is no edit function on the blogger comments thing, or I would have just removed the number.

groetjes,
Judy

CATEGORIES

Drawing (182) Pen and Ink (134) Colored Pencils (120) Netherlands (103) Sketches/Sketchbooks (101) Moleskine (98) Watercolors (98) Celebrations (94) France (79) Travel (78) flowers (65) Garden (52) Holland (52) Dutch Language (51) Cats (46) Utrecht (45) Random Silliness (44) Photo Friday (34) Food (24) Dutch (23) Limousin (23) Christmas (22) Tulips (22) Art History (21) Sacha (21) Chateau-Chervix (18) Sketches (17) Halloween (16) Travel in The Netherlands (16) Gouache (14) Paris (13) Folded Moleskine (12) Blog Birthday (11) Limoges (11) Valentines (11) Sinterklaas (10) Watercolor Pencils (10) collections (10) Easter (9) Inspiration (8) Thanksgiving (8) Belgium (7) Cathedrals (7) Drafting Film (7) In Memorium (7) Koninginnedag (7) Museums (7) New Year's Eve (7) Pumpkins (7) collections nature (7) Antwerp Belgium (6) Birds (5) Cooking (5) Earth Day (5) Friesland (5) graphite (5) shells (5) Driekoningen (4) Queen's Day (4) Candy (3) Chinese New Year (3) Crochet (3) Dordogne (3) Finn (3) Germany (3) Leuven Belgium (3) Markers (3) North Holland (3) Sarlat la Canéda (3) Vienna (3) Vintage (3) medieval history (3) spammers (3) 4th of July (2) Beeld en Geluid Museum (2) Berlin (2) Chartres (2) Crafts (2) Crows (2) Delft (2) Gent Belgium (2) Haarzuillens (2) Hilversum (2) Independence Day (2) Kasteel de Haar (2) Memorial Day (2) Panoramas (2) Pieter Bruegel the Elder (2) Software Programs (2) image scrapers (2) lantern plant (2) souvenirs (2) watercolor (2) watersoluable graphite (2) April Fool's Day (1) Carcassonne (1) Chateau de Hautefort (1) Claywork (1) Collonges la Rouge (1) Dirk Bouts (1) Emmen (1) Keukenhof (1) Languedoc (1) Museum Speelklok (1) Netherlandish Painting (1) Peony (1) Peter Paul Rubens (1) PhotoShop (1) Recipe (1) Stones and Rocks (1) Sumi-e Brush and Ink (1) Vermeer (1) Vintage Postcards (1) Vlieland (1) Woerden (1) digital drawing (1) ice skating (1) outages blogger (1)

Followers