Friday, September 10, 2010

Collections Nature- Turban Shell : Pen & Ink drawing with watercolor - Plus, an apology to my RSS Feed Subscribers.

`First, I want to advise everyone who reads this blog via a Feed Reader (i.e., Google Reader), that temporarily all feeds are shortened to text only-no images. You'll have to visit my blog to see the full post(s). I'm sorry I had to go to "short feeds" for awhile, but the image theft from my blog (and the spam) has forced me to take the necessary steps to, at least, stop as much of it as I can. I may switch back to full feeds if/when I have sorted everything out.

Ok, apology done - now I'm back in business with a small pen & ink drawing with a watercolor background.


artwork copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong
Topsy-Turvy Turban Shell

6"h x 4.5"w
Sakura Pigma Micron ink pens with Winsor-Newton watercolors

Arches hp watercolor paper

Having had to do a myriad of time consuming, headache inducing, tasks this week, I've had very little time for my art. The drawing, small though it is, is of one of my many shells in my shell collection - a Turban Shell (I think) flipped over. Headaches and annoyances do sometimes call for stolen moments of something you really would rather be doing - hence this little piece.

I've always enjoyed doing small contour drawings where the contour line is almost continous - meaning I don't pick up the pen from the paper. It's somewhat like a blind contour, but differs because I do look at both the subject and the paper while I'm drawing - so it's not really a blind contour. Then I combine some more concentrated/controlled lines, or color, to the surroundings of the subject - such as the controlled hatching in the shadows around the shell. It's the contrast of control and flowing that I'm after - a bit like life. ;-)

Was I successful? I don't know, but I enjoy drawing this way.

This weekend (hopefully), I'll post the sketches/drawings that I did at the Beeld en Geluid Instituut. I don't like using my scanner, but I may have to because the skies have been too gray here to get a good photo of my Moleskine pages.
doei,
Judy
.................................

No comments:

CATEGORIES

Drawing (181) Pen and Ink (133) Colored Pencils (120) Netherlands (103) Sketches/Sketchbooks (101) Moleskine (97) Watercolors (97) Celebrations (93) France (79) Travel (78) flowers (64) Holland (52) Dutch Language (51) Garden (51) Cats (46) Utrecht (45) Random Silliness (44) Photo Friday (34) Food (24) Dutch (23) Limousin (23) Christmas (22) Tulips (22) Art History (21) Sacha (20) Chateau-Chervix (18) Sketches (17) Halloween (16) Travel in The Netherlands (16) Gouache (14) Paris (13) Folded Moleskine (12) Blog Birthday (11) Limoges (11) Valentines (11) Sinterklaas (10) Watercolor Pencils (10) collections (10) Easter (9) Inspiration (8) Thanksgiving (8) Belgium (7) Cathedrals (7) Drafting Film (7) In Memorium (7) Koninginnedag (7) Museums (7) New Year's Eve (7) Pumpkins (7) collections nature (7) Antwerp Belgium (6) Birds (5) Cooking (5) Earth Day (5) Friesland (5) graphite (5) shells (5) Driekoningen (4) Queen's Day (4) Candy (3) Chinese New Year (3) Crochet (3) Dordogne (3) Finn (3) Germany (3) Leuven Belgium (3) Markers (3) North Holland (3) Sarlat la Canéda (3) Vienna (3) Vintage (3) medieval history (3) spammers (3) 4th of July (2) Beeld en Geluid Museum (2) Berlin (2) Chartres (2) Crafts (2) Crows (2) Delft (2) Gent Belgium (2) Haarzuillens (2) Hilversum (2) Independence Day (2) Kasteel de Haar (2) Memorial Day (2) Panoramas (2) Pieter Bruegel the Elder (2) Software Programs (2) image scrapers (2) lantern plant (2) souvenirs (2) watercolor (2) watersoluable graphite (2) April Fool's Day (1) Carcassonne (1) Chateau de Hautefort (1) Claywork (1) Collonges la Rouge (1) Dirk Bouts (1) Emmen (1) Keukenhof (1) Languedoc (1) Museum Speelklok (1) Netherlandish Painting (1) Peony (1) Peter Paul Rubens (1) PhotoShop (1) Recipe (1) Stones and Rocks (1) Sumi-e Brush and Ink (1) Vermeer (1) Vintage Postcards (1) Vlieland (1) Woerden (1) digital drawing (1) ice skating (1) outages blogger (1)

Followers