Thursday, November 4, 2010

Little Lantern Plant (Lampionplantje) - colored pencil drawing.

.








drawing copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong
Lampionplantje (little lantern plant)
6"h x 5"w
Faber-Castell  Polychromos colored pencils
Winsor-Newton gray tinted pastel paper


Just something to start off the month of November...and it happens to be colored orange! I seem to be obsessed, lately, with drawing/painting things in this color. Chinese Lantern Plants (Chinese Lampionplant)  are one of my favorite bright orange things this time of year.

I was never aware that I was so attracted to the color orange. I don't really wear orange colored clothing (though a bit does look good with black, which I wear a lot of! lol) and I would never paint a room orange, or have orange colored furnishings. But, I do like orange colored flowers, pumpkins, carrots, tangerines, orange lollipops, orange gumdrops and orange cake/cupcakes ... hmmm. I wonder if living in Holland has anything to do with this attraction to orange? (orange is the Dutch national color and the Dutch Royal Family color).

"Orange" you glad I posted this? heh heh
:o)
Judy
.........................

5 comments:

Meisie said...

ha! punny indeed! I too love orange, but never wear it. It is such a HAPPY colour I find. You drawing is beautiful. I really like how it shimmers on the grey!

J. Nijholt-Strong said...

Ty Meisie!:o) Yeah, I really loved working the orange colors on the gray (grey) paper, and you're right, it sort of shimmered as I was drawing.

Threadspider said...

That is a real heart singing illustration fro a grey day in November. I love it.

beth said...

Judy, do you remember i use to have a purple and orange bedroom with funky curtains? I have alot of purple in my home, and instead of orange it is more salmon...Beth

J. Nijholt-Strong said...

Thanks Threadspider :o)

Hey Beth!! :o) Yes, I do remember your room with the funky curtains!! lol And didn't you also have an orange mohair sweater that your mother knitted? You use to wear it with a brown skirt , I think. I loved those mohair sweaters of yours and I remember being quite jealous of you! LOL

CATEGORIES

Drawing (181) Pen and Ink (133) Colored Pencils (120) Netherlands (103) Sketches/Sketchbooks (101) Moleskine (97) Watercolors (97) Celebrations (93) France (79) Travel (78) flowers (64) Holland (52) Dutch Language (51) Garden (51) Cats (46) Utrecht (45) Random Silliness (44) Photo Friday (34) Food (24) Dutch (23) Limousin (23) Christmas (22) Tulips (22) Art History (21) Sacha (20) Chateau-Chervix (18) Sketches (17) Halloween (16) Travel in The Netherlands (16) Gouache (14) Paris (13) Folded Moleskine (12) Blog Birthday (11) Limoges (11) Valentines (11) Sinterklaas (10) Watercolor Pencils (10) collections (10) Easter (9) Inspiration (8) Thanksgiving (8) Belgium (7) Cathedrals (7) Drafting Film (7) In Memorium (7) Koninginnedag (7) Museums (7) New Year's Eve (7) Pumpkins (7) collections nature (7) Antwerp Belgium (6) Birds (5) Cooking (5) Earth Day (5) Friesland (5) graphite (5) shells (5) Driekoningen (4) Queen's Day (4) Candy (3) Chinese New Year (3) Crochet (3) Dordogne (3) Finn (3) Germany (3) Leuven Belgium (3) Markers (3) North Holland (3) Sarlat la Canéda (3) Vienna (3) Vintage (3) medieval history (3) spammers (3) 4th of July (2) Beeld en Geluid Museum (2) Berlin (2) Chartres (2) Crafts (2) Crows (2) Delft (2) Gent Belgium (2) Haarzuillens (2) Hilversum (2) Independence Day (2) Kasteel de Haar (2) Memorial Day (2) Panoramas (2) Pieter Bruegel the Elder (2) Software Programs (2) image scrapers (2) lantern plant (2) souvenirs (2) watercolor (2) watersoluable graphite (2) April Fool's Day (1) Carcassonne (1) Chateau de Hautefort (1) Claywork (1) Collonges la Rouge (1) Dirk Bouts (1) Emmen (1) Keukenhof (1) Languedoc (1) Museum Speelklok (1) Netherlandish Painting (1) Peony (1) Peter Paul Rubens (1) PhotoShop (1) Recipe (1) Stones and Rocks (1) Sumi-e Brush and Ink (1) Vermeer (1) Vintage Postcards (1) Vlieland (1) Woerden (1) digital drawing (1) ice skating (1) outages blogger (1)

Followers