Thursday, January 12, 2012

2 small Moleskine Drawings from Antwerp ~ and my new Portable Travel Sketch Kit


What a lousy/lazy title for a blog post, but you get the idea! Last week, it was still quite festive in Antwerp, Belgium - with lovely Christmas decorations still up all over the city and people still in a joyful, holiday, mood.

Outside Antwerp's Central Train Station was a giant Christmas tree ...
painting copyright 2012 Judith Nijholt-Strong.
all rights reserved.
Giant Christmas Tree - Central Train Station Antwerp
watercolors with pen & ink in small Moleskine sketchbook
January 2012 ~ Antwerp, Belgium

Because my husband and I were having too much fun enjoying Antwerp, I only managed two drawings/paintings in my "Travel to Other Places" moleskine! ;o))

This is a view from the Grotemarkt, which is in the center of the city ...
painting copyright 2012 Judith Nijholt-Strong. all rights reserved.
View on the Grotemarkt in Early January
watercolors with pen & ink in small Moleskine sketchbook
January 2012 ~ Antwerp, Belgium

That's supposed to be a tree with Christmas lights on it, though I'm not sure I accomplished the "look" of the lights. Anyway, it was a pretty view with the buildings that line the Grotemarkt, so I drew it. We also had lunch that day on the Grotemarkt, in one of the many café/bistros on the street level floors of those grand old buildings.

I'm also including a pic of my *new*, easy to carry, traveling watercolor and pen & ink kit, for those who are curious about what I carry with me. This is so much more more compact, lighter and easier to deal with ...
photo copyright 2012 Judith Nijholt-Strong
Easy to carry!
Small Moleskine Sketchbook ~ Watercolor pans in small candy tin
2 Pigma Micron pens ~ 1 Niji Waterbrush (med. size)
1 "shortened", small round, sable paint brush
Pocket tissue package to dab drawing/wipe paint from brushes.

For a while now, I've been wanting to reduce the size/amount of travel sketching tools I carry around with me, especially on short trips like the one we took to Antwerp. I've realized I don't always need every single tube or watercolor pan that I own when I'm out working in my travel moleskines. Plus, I really enjoy mixing colors to get other colors, so I was being really, really silly thinking I needed to take everything along!!

In the past, I had seen other folks using small mint tins (i.e., Altoids, etc.) and always thought that was a great way to cut down on the weight of what you have to carry along with you. So I went on a "search mission" in my studio and discovered I had an old Everest Mint Chewing Gum tin! Yay! I filled it with 14 of my favorite watercolor pan colors, stuck them down with poster putty on the bottom sides of the pans so I can change them out if I want to, and I was good to go! How simple and how silly that I'd never tried this before - made things so much lighter and so easy. All of it fits neatly in a smallish zip-lock bag which goes in my shoulder bag. So much lighter! Live and learn. :o)

Oh! That cut-off paint brush, in the "tools" pic, is one I've had for about 30 years. Long ago, I had cut it down to use when I did detail underglazing work on my clay sculptures (way long ago). It's an old sable brush but, if kept in good condition, they last a long time...even when you cut them down. :o))) The brush is now enjoying a new life as my, oh so portable , travelling painting brush.

tot ziens,
Judy
........................................................................................

2 comments:

pencilsandpaint said...

Happy New Year Judith. I love your tiny travelling painting kit and I expect you had fun making it too. I use a similar out and about kit, albeit with different brands.
The Antwerp sketch is beautiful. I love the charity and strength of your line as well as the colour

J. Nijholt-Strong said...

Happy New Year to you too Judith. :o)and thanks.
I can't believe I waited so long to make that little paint tin... just a born procrasinator I am! lol

Hope to catch up with your blog soon...been busy cleaning up after the holidays.

Judy2

CATEGORIES

Drawing (181) Pen and Ink (132) Colored Pencils (119) Netherlands (103) Sketches/Sketchbooks (101) Watercolors (97) Moleskine (96) Celebrations (93) France (79) Travel (78) flowers (63) Holland (52) Dutch Language (51) Garden (50) Cats (46) Utrecht (45) Random Silliness (44) Photo Friday (34) Food (24) Dutch (23) Limousin (23) Christmas (22) Tulips (22) Art History (21) Sacha (20) Chateau-Chervix (18) Sketches (17) Halloween (16) Travel in The Netherlands (16) Gouache (14) Paris (13) Folded Moleskine (12) Blog Birthday (11) Limoges (11) Valentines (11) Sinterklaas (10) Watercolor Pencils (10) collections (10) Easter (9) Inspiration (8) Thanksgiving (8) Belgium (7) Cathedrals (7) Drafting Film (7) In Memorium (7) Koninginnedag (7) Museums (7) New Year's Eve (7) Pumpkins (7) collections nature (7) Antwerp Belgium (6) Birds (5) Cooking (5) Earth Day (5) Friesland (5) graphite (5) shells (5) Driekoningen (4) Queen's Day (4) Candy (3) Chinese New Year (3) Crochet (3) Dordogne (3) Finn (3) Germany (3) Leuven Belgium (3) Markers (3) North Holland (3) Sarlat la Canéda (3) Vienna (3) Vintage (3) medieval history (3) spammers (3) 4th of July (2) Beeld en Geluid Museum (2) Berlin (2) Chartres (2) Crafts (2) Crows (2) Delft (2) Gent Belgium (2) Haarzuillens (2) Hilversum (2) Independence Day (2) Kasteel de Haar (2) Memorial Day (2) Panoramas (2) Pieter Bruegel the Elder (2) Software Programs (2) image scrapers (2) lantern plant (2) souvenirs (2) watercolor (2) watersoluable graphite (2) April Fool's Day (1) Carcassonne (1) Chateau de Hautefort (1) Claywork (1) Collonges la Rouge (1) Dirk Bouts (1) Emmen (1) Keukenhof (1) Languedoc (1) Museum Speelklok (1) Netherlandish Painting (1) Peony (1) Peter Paul Rubens (1) PhotoShop (1) Recipe (1) Stones and Rocks (1) Sumi-e Brush and Ink (1) Vermeer (1) Vintage Postcards (1) Vlieland (1) Woerden (1) digital drawing (1) ice skating (1) outages blogger (1)

Followers