Thursday, November 15, 2012

Moleskine drawings from my October trip to France

.These are the drawings/paintings I did in my moleskine sketchbook journal, "Travels in France, Volume 5" while on vacation in the Limousin and Languedoc regions of France this past October. It's a long post ...

Chateau-Chervix, France
A view of the changing colors of the chestnut trees and the beautiful autumn sky from the large sliding glass windows in the kitchen of the rental house in Chateau-Chervix, France. I love this view and spend hours looking at it, especially in the mornings while having coffee.
drawing copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong. all rights reserved.
Autumn Colors in Chateau-Chervix
watercolors, pen & ink in moleskine sketchbook
October 2012 ~ Chateau-Chervix, France

We took a long walk near the rental house, on the forest route area of the Puy-de-Bar. Eventually, after walking on the winding & hilly forest path, we came across this farm that caught my eye - I think it was the sky again, as well as the silence, that impressed me so much.
drawing copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong. all rights reserved.
 Farm Houses in Chateau-Chervix
watercolors, pen & ink in moleskine sketchbook
October 2012 ~ Chateau-Chervix, France

A trip to Carcassonne and Mirepoix, France
On this trip, we'd already planned an overnight down in Carcassonne, in  the Languedoc area of France. It's a 3.5 hour drive south from Chateau-Chervix, which is in the Limousin area of France, but we were determined to see it.

When we arrived in the medieval city, I was intrigued with the architectural details and interesting stonework I saw everywhere in Carcassonne, so I kept adding to this two page spread in my sketchbook. The 'fish face', (on the right side of the spread), is a water downspout. There were also many faces carved on the buildings in the medieval city - so interesting to me. Most of the faces were grimacing or sticking their tongues out. :p
drawing copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong. all rights reserved.
Ornamental Details and Stonework in Carcassonne
watercolors, pen & ink in moleskine sketchbook
October 2012 ~ Carcassonne, France

While the interior of the medieval city is indeed interesting, it's also a bit crowded with tourists and souvenir shops, even in the autumn of the year. At night, the old city was pretty empty of people and I enjoyed that a lot more (I'm a purist of sorts ... lol). I didn't do any drawings inside the center except the bits & bobs of  building details.

However, the walk between the inner ramparts and the outer ramparts was quite impressive and actually fairly empty of tourists - it was this part of Carcassonne that impressed me the most! Apparently, I like drawing lots of bricks ... with no people in the way ( lol). The massive structures of the ramparts and towers are amazing - especially amazing when set against a beautiful autumn sky.
drawing copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong. all rights reserved.
Walk Between the Ramparts in Carcassonne
watercolors, pen & ink in moleskine sketchbook
October 2012 ~ Carcassonne, France

Almost everyone who visits Carcassonne takes this photo of the entrance to the medieval city and, of course, I did too ...
photo copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong. all rights reserved.
Carcassonne - Entrance to the Cité Medieval at Night
October 2012 ~ Carcassonne, France

We also visited the lovely town of Mirepoix, France, which is about an hour further south from Carcassonne. We stopped here for a late lunch and a look around, before heading back to Chateau-Chervix. I loved the giant plane trees that lined the streets in Mirepoix - so I drew them.
drawing copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong. all rights reserved.
Giant Plane Trees in Mirepoix
watercolors, pen & ink in moleskine sketchbook
October 2012 ~ Mirepoix, France

And my little Kermit had a coffee in Mirepoix. :o)
photo copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong. all rights reserved.
Lil Kermit and his Huge Coffee in Mirepoix
October 2012 ~ Mirepoix, France

Back in the Limousin Region of France
In the fall, especially after a few good soaking rains, everyone is out foraging for the wild cepes mushrooms. We saw so many cars lined up along the roadsides by the forested areas where people would go to their "secret place" to hunt for the cepes. Cepes, which are truly delicious, are quite expensive in the markets and they're considered mushroom "gold" in the Limousin region. The owner of our rental house had harvested quite a basketful - I drew some of the cepes along with some sweet chestnuts that I had harvested.
drawing copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong. all rights reserved.
Foraging for Cepes & Sweet Chestnuts Around Chateau-Chervix
watercolors, pen & ink in moleskine sketchbook
October 2012 ~ Chateau-Chervix, France

Jumilac-le-Grand
We spent an afternoon in Jumilac-le-Grand. Having done the castle tour on a previous trip a few years ago, this time we just walked around the town a bit, bought another tee-shirt for my husband from the Jumilac tourist center (which has a display on the history of mining for gold & precious metals in the area), had coffees and teas and I drew part of the huge castle. It was another beautiful autumn day and the golden colors of the trees seemed to match perfectly with the golden color of the castle.
drawing copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong. all rights reserved.
Chateau Jumilac in Autumn
watercolors, pen & ink in moleskine sketchbook
October 2012 ~ Jumilac-le-Grand, France

I took a pic of myself drawing the castle - not an easy thing to do, the pic taking I mean! 
photo copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong. all rights reserved
Me drawing in Jumilac, France
October 2012 ~ Jumilac-le-Grand, France

A treat from Vicq-sur-Breuilh
On this trip, my husband decided to drive, every day, to the bakery in the neighboring village of Vicq-sur-Breuilh to get our morning baguette and croissants. One morning he came back with a special treat - a raspberry filled, raspberry macaron! Before I dived into it, I drew it ... and it was delicious!!
drawing copyright Judith Nijholt-Strong. all rights reserved.
Special Treat from Vicq-sur-Breuilh; a Raspberry Macaron
watercolors, pen & ink in moleskine sketchbook
October 2012 ~ Vicq-sur-Breuilh, France

And finally, the Kermits bought a donkey at a horse fair in the town of St. Yrieix-la-Perche (not far from Chateau-Chervix). Not just any donkey mind you, but an Ane Grand Noir du Berry! :o)
photo copyright Judith Nijholt-Stong
all rights reserved.
My Kermits and Their Donkey in France
October 2012 ~ Chateau-Chervix, France


I have a few more drawings to post, but I'm  afraid those will have to wait for another time, maybe. I've fallen down the stairs again (*eye roll*), and sitting at the computer for very long periods at a time does my left leg no good! And though I also returned home with a persistent nasty head-cold, (and to a mountain of clothes to wash - c'est la vie hahaha), we had another glorious autumn vacation in France! Can't wait for Spring, when we'll return again to Chateau-Chervix. :o)


tot ziens,
Judy
.........................................................................................

6 comments:

Valerie said...

Your drawings are wonderful!

Val

J. Nijholt-Strong said...

Thanks, Val
:o)

tabascocatart.com said...

I love your journal pages! Are you using the Moleskine sketchbook with the sort of cream/yellow colored paper? Your pages look so white in the photos that is why I ask. I love Moleskine and use the watercolor journals but wasn't so sure how drawings with added watercolor would turn out on that off white paper.

Thanks much for the info!

J. Nijholt-Strong said...

Yes, I'm using the Moleskine regular sketchbooks with the off-white pages. I did once order a batch of them (the current ones I'm using) and the pages were not as 'off-white' as the first batch of Moleskines I started with - possibly that's why the photos of my sketches look much whiter on screen now.

If you look at some of my older posts such as this one of chestnuts:
http://kats-in-klompen.blogspot.nl/2009/11/vacation-in-france-october-2009-part-4.html
you can see in the first image that the molsekine there has the creamier color.

Other than the diff in the paper color of the two batches of Mollies, it could be because of the light I take the photos in. My overhead daylight in my studio tends to be a bit blueish.

Anyway, yes I use the standard Moleskine sketchbooks and yes, you can use watercolors with them, though since the paper is not watercolor paper you have to get used to how the colors lay down on the regular sketchbook paper - and expect some buckling if you use too much water.

cheers,
Judy

tabascocatart.com said...

Thanks much for the info!

I wish that Moleskine would produce a WC journal in the format of their standard journal. I love their WC journals - you can add a lot of water and the pages buckle when wet but smooth out almost perfectly when they dry and the texture isn't so rough that you can't use pen and ink on them.

Seeing your success makes me want to give their standard journal a try!

J. Nijholt-Strong said...

Thanks for the compliments tobascocat. :)

Moleskine does make a large folio size watercolor sketchbook. It's A4 landscape format - Pages: 60 pages (30 leaves)
Size: 8.5h x 12w inches (21 x 29.7 cm)

The paper is watercolor paper and white. Here's a link:
http://www.moleskineus.com/moleskine-folio-watercolor-a4-album.html

I just got one for Christmas. I probably will not be taking it along with me when I'm outside on my travels, because I don't like attracting attention to myself! lol
But it's good for indoors work. :)

Have fun and enjoy whatever you do!
Judy

CATEGORIES

Drawing (181) Pen and Ink (133) Colored Pencils (120) Netherlands (103) Sketches/Sketchbooks (101) Moleskine (97) Watercolors (97) Celebrations (93) France (79) Travel (78) flowers (64) Holland (52) Dutch Language (51) Garden (51) Cats (46) Utrecht (45) Random Silliness (44) Photo Friday (34) Food (24) Dutch (23) Limousin (23) Christmas (22) Tulips (22) Art History (21) Sacha (20) Chateau-Chervix (18) Sketches (17) Halloween (16) Travel in The Netherlands (16) Gouache (14) Paris (13) Folded Moleskine (12) Blog Birthday (11) Limoges (11) Valentines (11) Sinterklaas (10) Watercolor Pencils (10) collections (10) Easter (9) Inspiration (8) Thanksgiving (8) Belgium (7) Cathedrals (7) Drafting Film (7) In Memorium (7) Koninginnedag (7) Museums (7) New Year's Eve (7) Pumpkins (7) collections nature (7) Antwerp Belgium (6) Birds (5) Cooking (5) Earth Day (5) Friesland (5) graphite (5) shells (5) Driekoningen (4) Queen's Day (4) Candy (3) Chinese New Year (3) Crochet (3) Dordogne (3) Finn (3) Germany (3) Leuven Belgium (3) Markers (3) North Holland (3) Sarlat la Canéda (3) Vienna (3) Vintage (3) medieval history (3) spammers (3) 4th of July (2) Beeld en Geluid Museum (2) Berlin (2) Chartres (2) Crafts (2) Crows (2) Delft (2) Gent Belgium (2) Haarzuillens (2) Hilversum (2) Independence Day (2) Kasteel de Haar (2) Memorial Day (2) Panoramas (2) Pieter Bruegel the Elder (2) Software Programs (2) image scrapers (2) lantern plant (2) souvenirs (2) watercolor (2) watersoluable graphite (2) April Fool's Day (1) Carcassonne (1) Chateau de Hautefort (1) Claywork (1) Collonges la Rouge (1) Dirk Bouts (1) Emmen (1) Keukenhof (1) Languedoc (1) Museum Speelklok (1) Netherlandish Painting (1) Peony (1) Peter Paul Rubens (1) PhotoShop (1) Recipe (1) Stones and Rocks (1) Sumi-e Brush and Ink (1) Vermeer (1) Vintage Postcards (1) Vlieland (1) Woerden (1) digital drawing (1) ice skating (1) outages blogger (1)

Followers